Comment on page
How to install Docker
Docker is a popular containerization platform that allows you to run applications in isolated and portable containers.
With Docker, you can easily create, deploy, and manage containers to efficiently run your applications. This guide will help you install Docker on your OnetSolutions VPS.
- a VPS
- an OnetSolutions account
Follow these steps to install Docker on your OnetSolutions VPS:
- 1.Connect to your VPS via SSH using an SSH client (e.g., OpenSSH, PuTTY). Log in with your VPS username and password.
- 2.Update the system packages by running the following command:sudo apt update
- 3.Install the necessary dependencies by executing the following command:sudo apt install apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl software-properties-common
- 4.Add the Docker GPG key by running the following command:curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/docker-archive-keyring.gpgMake sure to replace "ubuntu" with your respective Linux distribution if you are not using Ubuntu.
- 5.Add the Docker repository by running the following command:echo "deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/docker-archive-keyring.gpg] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu $(lsb_release -cs) stable" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/nullAgain, modify the above command if you are using a Linux distribution other than Ubuntu.
- 6.Update the package index again by running:sudo apt update
- 7.Install Docker by running the following command:sudo apt install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io
- 8.Once the installation is complete, start the Docker service:sudo systemctl start docker
- 9.Verify that Docker is running by checking its status:sudo systemctl status dockerYou should see a "active (running)" message indicating that Docker is up and running.
- 10.To allow your user to run Docker commands without using sudo, add your user to the "docker" group:sudo usermod -aG docker $USERNote: Remember to log out and log back in for the group changes to take effect.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Docker on your OnetSolutions VPS. You can now start using Docker to run and manage containers for your applications.
To ensure that Docker is installed correctly, you can run a simple test by executing the following command:
docker run hello-world
This command will pull a lightweight "hello-world" Docker image and run it in a container. If everything is set up correctly, you should see a message indicating that Docker is working properly.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily install Docker on your OnetSolutions VPS. Docker provides a powerful containerization platform that enables you to efficiently manage and deploy applications. With Docker, you can isolate your applications in containers, ensuring consistency and portability across different environments.
Now that Docker is successfully installed on your OnetSolutions VPS, you can explore its vast ecosystem and leverage its features to streamline your application deployment process. You can pull pre-built Docker images from Docker Hub or create your own custom images using Dockerfiles.
Additionally, Docker Compose, a tool bundled with Docker, allows you to define and manage multi-container applications. With Docker Compose, you can easily orchestrate and scale your application's containers, defining networks, volumes, and dependencies.
To learn more about Docker and its various features, refer to the official Docker documentation. The documentation provides detailed information on using Docker commands, managing images and containers, and optimizing your Docker setup.
Remember to keep Docker and its components up to date by regularly checking for updates and applying them. This ensures that you benefit from the latest features, bug fixes, and security patches.
Enjoy exploring Docker's capabilities and harnessing the power of containerization on your OnetSolutions VPS. Docker simplifies the process of managing and deploying applications, making your development and deployment workflows more efficient and scalable.
If you encounter any issues or have further questions about Docker, don't hesitate to consult the Docker documentation or seek support from the Docker community.